The Coachman has changed its name several times since it was built in the late 1830s. All it previous names linked it to the railway – Railway Inn, Railway Hotel, Hartford Station Hotel – and it was only as recently as 1971 that it became The Coachman. The Grand Junction Railway, one of the earliest in the country, linked Birmingham to Warrington and opened on 4th July, 1837. The line passed through Hartford and it’s station was one of only a handful along its 82 miles to be given first class status. As a result, the six trains which passed through in each direction every day had to stop. Within two days of the opening, the station became the collection and dispatch point for the Chester to London Mail. Passengers arrived from Chester, Knutsford, Tarporley and Northwich in horse-drawn omnibuses and The Railway Inn was built to service them. It has stabling for 51 horses, a blacksmith’s shop, a harness room, a store room, a riding school, paddocks and 15 acres of land.